Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Can I get a do over?

This weekend was one of those weekends I need another weekend to recover from. I had high hopes for it, but it didn't really work out like I thought it would.

Saturday, we had plans to take my niece out for her birthday. Since her birthday falls so close to Christmas we decided to gift her an activity instead of another toy she probably doesn't even want. She chose to go out to eat and go to the movies, which sounded great. Justin worked that morning, so we weren't leaving until about lunchtime. Emerson had such a great morning at home, we decided to take her with us. She's never been to the movies before so we thought it would be a good time to try. We thought, if nothing else, she would enjoy being with her cousin.

Biggest.Mistake.Ever.

She scream-cried ALL.DAY.LONG.

We started at Academy because Addison was looking for a pair of new shoes. Emerson flat out melted down over a dinky little scooter. I quickly got her out of the store and drove her around until she fell asleep while Justin tried to help my niece. Addison didn't find what she wanted so we headed to the mall.


This was the only 15 minutes of peace any of us got all day long.

She cried when she woke up. She cried in the mall. She cried in the movie. Justin and I took turns taking her out into the lobby. When I took her out, she cried because we didn't have quarters to play the games. She cried when the joystick pinched her hand...then did it again. She cried when I wouldn't let her go back into the theater. SHE CRIED. SHE CRIED. SHE CRIED.

I finally went back in to get my purse so she and I could sit in the car with her until the end of the movie. Justin decided he would take her out since he wasn't really liking the movie anyway. (Paddington was not all it was cracked up to be.) I handed him my purse since he had forgotten his car keys at home, and I sat down to finish the movie with Addison.

He ended up trying to drive her around to calm Emerson down. The only problem was he had my phone, my keys, and everything in my purse with him in the car. So when the movie finished, Addison and I had no way of contacting him, and we had no idea where he was. I finally got up the nerve to ask a stranger if we could use their phone to call him (knowing Justin wouldn't answer a strange number), but no luck. Addison and I ended up standing in the cold for about 45 minutes. To say I was upset would be an understatement.

After that there was more crying and gnashing of teeth, but we finally made it home with everyone alive. Exhausted and frustrated, but alive.

I guess the hard part of all of this is I don't know how to properly parent Emerson when she acts this way. Is she acting so badly because she is feeling sick? Is she acting up because she's 2 and that's what you do at 2? Is she sensing the change that is about to rock our family and rebelling against it? Should I be sympathetic? Tough? Firm? Easy? What is the right thing to do? It is so frustrating to me that you have this kid who is behaving a certain way, but I have no idea how to help her.

We decided Sunday to let her rest and see what happened. She slept til 10:00 and had little cough and low grade fever when she woke up, but as the day progressed she seemed ok. I guess maybe she was feeling badly?!?! Who knows! One thing is for sure, I am about to start checking out some books on strong-willed children because this mama is not ready for 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment