Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Surprise, Surprise!

So...yeah. We're having twins.

Trust me, nobody is as surprised as we are!

For my own memory (because after having a toddler and TWO infants I'm sure I won't have much of one left):

The Saturday after Thanksgiving I woke up and took a pregnancy test. I am not sure why, but something just kept telling me to take one. It was positive. I'm not talking, "maybe there's a teeny tiny line there." I am talking, "HELLO, BIG BOLD LINE." I didn't even know what to say to Justin. I had no idea what to even think! Here we were, having had to do fertility medicine to get Emerson and without even trying now we're expecting? Justin immediately said it was just an old test. It couldn't be trusted.

Five brand spankin' new tests later, they were all still positive!

Since I had no idea of any kind of date, my doctor had me come in the following Monday. They did an ultrasound, but all they could see was one empty sac. Well, in my head (which is a scary place to be!) it just didn't add up. I figured I was just waiting to miscarry. They had me go back a week later.

So, early on the next Thursday morning I went in for a follow-up ultrasound. The tech was very quiet. She took her time, and made sure the screen was turned away from me. She sent me off with a "the nurse will call you." I, of course, expected the worst. She wouldn't have been so secretive if it was good, right? So we waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Finally, after nobody had called me, I made my own call to the phone nurse at my doctor's office. I told her I knew something was wrong, and it was ok, but I needed her to tell me something. She replied with, "Weeeeeellllll, I don't know what to tell you. Last week we saw one empty sac. This week we see two."

(Drop chin on the floor here.)

Basically, they didn't know if they should tell me I was having twins or if I was still waiting to miscarry since both sacs were still empty. Come back in a week.

(Insert the LONGEST WEEK EVER.)

So, the Friday we got out for the Christmas holidays, I made a flying trip to the doctor's office to hear what I thought would be, "You're waiting to miscarry. We're sorry." Instead I got, "Both have strong heartbeats of about 170." I just stared at the nurse. Surely she was mistaken. She assured me, after lots of laughter, that she was not mistaken. She then showed me our two little lima beans and their heart beats flitting away.

I had gone by myself no thinking anything exciting was going to happen. Let me tell you, having to tell your husband via text that you're having twins is quite an experience!

All in all, we are thrilled. Excited. Really nervous. We didn't want to tell before I was out of the first trimester (about 2.5 more weeks), but some people who knew our secret let it out. We decided to go ahead and tell since it was on the fast track to no longer being OUR news to share. We would GREATLY appreciate any prayers you could offer us, specifically for healthy development, easy transition for Emerson, and for us to know God's perfect plan for us as far as finances and logistics go. There are a lot of things to consider over the next few months.

Who could ever believe we would be a family of 5?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment