Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

12 Week Update

Yesterday we had our 12 week check-up on the twins. It was our first officially official appointment...a pretty big deal to us since this whole thing has been surreal to say the least.

Justin and Emerson met me at school to go. It cracked us up because 3 different people asked him whose PreK class she was in. They were totally shocked to find out she's only 2! Then, I turned around in the car on the way and saw this:

When did she turn into a teenager?!?!

She handled herself really well, even though we had to wait about 2 and a half hours. My doctor had several unexpected deliveries to help out with so there was A LOT of preggo ladies waiting their turn. Justin and Emerson entertained themselves any way they could.
(I have no clue why this picture won't turn. I finally got tired of trying to figure it out!)

We got a good report on the twins.

First of all, they are still twins. There are in fact TWO of them. I am not sure what I was thinking...like it would magically be one now or something, but there are still two.

They are in separate sacs, which is the easiest way to have twins. There is still a chance they could be identical. Crazy to me! If they're the same gender, we won't know if they're identical until birth. They are sitting side-by-side right now.

My due date is August 10th, but my doctor will take them sometime around 36 or 37 weeks. That makes it mid-July. Our goal is to make it to 36 weeks without any preterm labor or complications. (My blood pressure was a little high yesterday. :( I'm praying it does not go up and down like it did with Emerson.)

Starting at about 18 to 20 weeks, I will have Level 2 ultrasounds with a high-risk doctor every 6 to 8 weeks to check their growth and development. Twins are at a higher risk for birth defects and complications, so they will monitor that closely.They need to make sure they're both getting adequate nutrition and growing at about the same rate.

I'm apparently not eating enough (that's a first!). She upped my prescription on the anti-nausea meds, but I really think I am just going to have to get past the first few months before food sounds appealing at all.

We got to see them for a minute on the portable ultrasound machine. It was super-grainy, but you could see two, separate babies flipping and flopping like crazy. Both had great heartbeats. It was the moment that it became really real that we are having A.) a baby B.) two of them They already look like actually babies, so it was pretty neat!

I have no idea what God has in store for us, but I am excited to see what unfolds. Thank you for all of the prayers and sweet texts. They are greatly appreciated! I will continue to update.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are blogging regularly now, so I can keep up with you guys! We will continue to pray for you guys and those beans! SOOO EXCITING!!

    ReplyDelete