Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Making a Calendar Cute

I am the kind of person who must keep a calendar on hand. I just feel better when I can see what is coming, and it really helps with my post-pregnancy brain. I can't seem to remember anything anymore unless I write it down.

I have tried to go digital with my calendars, but it's just not the same. I really don't like Apple's calendar now, and I've tried other apps that just aren't what I am looking for. That leaves me with good ole pen and paper. I bought a great paper calendar from a small handmade business last year, but she decided to go out of business. I love the idea of an Erin Condren Life Planner, but I can never justify the price. I've been on the hunt for a cute, relevant to me, planner.

I found a pretty cheap one at Walmart the other day, and after some sprucing up, it's exactly what I need. It has a monthly layout (a must for me), but also has a weekly page next to a page for notes. I like this much more than weeks running together or taking up tons of space, and notes crammed at the back.

To cute-en it up a bit, I used scrapbook paper, stickers, and washi tape that I had on hand.
 

 To begin, I knew I wanted a pocket. I took a 4x6 plain envelope, sealed it, and trimmed about an inch off of one end. This left me with a paper pocket. Instead of having just plain white (which would have been fine), I covered it in pink paper, and then did a strip of the geometric print. I used a regular glue stick to attach it to the envelope, but I used Sobo craft glue to attach the pocket to the inside of my calendar. Regular glue or tape would have been fine. I was in a workshop recently where the presenter told us she swears by Elmer's Glue All. It's not as watered down and Elmer's school glue, and it sticks really well. I have been trying to find some ever since she told me about it. It would work great for this.

 
Then came the fun part. I used washi tape to block off dates, added stickers to days with individual events, and added in birthdays. I used scrapbooking stickers I have had on hand for forever, but anything would work. I know myself well enough to know the cuter it is, the more I'll use it. 

 
This is probably my most favorite part of this whole thing though. I've always disliked weekly calendars because I like to see my month at once glance. The weekly stuff seemed like a waste. However, the other day it hit me that if I had a weekly calendar, I could use it to write down our meal plans, blog ideas, etc. all in one place. (I even scheduled my exercise in so I have no excuse!) I always write down our meals on scrap paper or on a note in my phone so that it helps to curb the "we have nothing for dinner" panic at 5:00 each day. It also helps me to plan my grocery list. Now, we don't necessarily stick to the days I write it on, but it at least gives me a plan. You know that old saying, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"? That's me.  I also like that this calendar has a page for notes right next to the weekly pages. That gives a great space for my never-ending to-do list. 

Yes, I know that's not how you spell chili, but I'm not normal.
So there you have it. A cute, personalized planner for a fraction of the price!

No comments:

Post a Comment