Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Chicken Rat-a-tooie

Christmas was great! New Years was great! Being off for two weeks was great!

Does that count at catching up? :)

Yes, I have pictures to document the times (and the times they were good), but uploading pictures would require me to go out into the current frigidness to get my camera cord, and (let's be honest) it's just not worth it. I'll do all of that one of these days.

In the meantime, I have a recipe to share! We (along with every other human adult) have decided it's time for the fluff to unattach itself from us. That means eating better and exercising. Justin's doing some sort of intermittent fasting thingy, and I'm going with the carb-cycling approach. I'll eat low carb two days followed by one day of healthy high-carbs, and repeat. Sundays are our off days. He found his groove with running last year, and I really enjoy using our school's workout room so we'll stick to that.

Anyway, I found this recipe from Chris Powell, but I tweaked it just a bit. I also have no idea how to spell it correctly, nor do I have the gumption to google it. So it will be called "rat-a-tooie" from now on. This stuff is GOOD! It's full of veggies and hearty. It's super easy to make. You can't go wrong.


 
Chicken Rat-a-tooie
 
Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
1 bell pepper (original recipe calls for green, I used orange because I had it.)
1 eggplant
1 zucchini
1 onion
2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomato with garlic
Seasoning of your choice (I used garlic powder and Italian seasoning)
Spinach (optional)
Olive Oil
 
I seasoned my chicken with garlic powder, a pinch of salt, and Italian seasoning, then cooked them until they were almost done in a non-stick skillet I had spritzed with a little olive oil. Cut up all your veggies into bite-sized pieces. I then added the bell pepper and onion. Let them cook for 3 minutes or so, then add in your eggplant and zucchini. Cook that for about 4 or 5 minutes. Next add your cans of tomatoes. Bring it to a boil then reduce to  a simmer. I let mine set for about 20 minutes and it was perfect. I am sure any amount of time would be ok as long as you give it time to all melt together.
 
We ate ours just like that, but the recipe calls for putting it on a serving of baby spinach. The warm mix should wilt your spinach a bit. We went with more of the chunky soup route, and it was good. Oh, so good!
 
This made a lot (about 8 2-cup servings), so I'm sure you could half it easily. It made great leftovers the next day too. It made a tasty way to get our veggies in. Definitely one I'll be making a lot more of!
 
I have some blog plans for the weeks to come. I'm hoping that I can stick with it and be a little more consistent. Until then, stay warm!

1 comment:

  1. I am quasi carb cycling. You aren't supposed to do it when breast feeding, so I am following his wife's plan for BF moms. If you want an accountability partner, I am up for it! Facebook me! Jennifer Walker Takala

    ReplyDelete