Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fits and a First

Emerson Kate got her very first haircut yesterday. It was much-needed, and she actually had quite a bit cut. Too bad the kid's hair is OUT OF CONTROL because you can barely tell she had much done.

BEFORE
 
 
AFTER

 
 
With all of those curls she really is just destined to rock a 70s 'do until it grows out more. At least she can see now. The poor thing would get so exasperated with hair being in her face, which happened no matter how you tried to contain it. She did surprisingly well. Miss Amber was super-patient with her, and the ever-handy iPhone and fruit snacks were put to good use.
 
 
Yep. Everything was fine and dandy until my mom (who came to help me with her during the haircut) tried to leave. Emerson threw what is known around here as a "wall-eyed fit." I'm talking screaming bloody murder, thrashing, lurching from my arms, fit. Things only went downhill from there when we got home. She literally laid herself out in our yard, IN THE MUD, screaming and kicking because I would not let her play in a puddle of stagnate water. She clinched her fists, screamed, and kicked anytime I tried to make her do something or stopped her from doing something she shouldn't be doing. We had about 5 fits total last night. EXHAUSTING.
 
So here's my question to you experienced moms out there, how do you handle fits? I know all of the "research" says just ignore them and let the kids work it out, but when do they cross the line into thinking that is an acceptable way to act? I know she doesn't really know what she's doing (yet), and she doesn't have the vocabulary to express her feelings, but I also don't want to raise a spoiled brat. How do you handle them? When should I start reinforcing that she's not going to get what she wants?
 
In the meantime say a prayer for us that when (cause we all know that it's not going to be an "if") it happens in public, we will be Christlike parents and not flip out. :) Oh the joys of parenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment