Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Williams Family Road Trip Part 1

Last week we loaded up and headed out for our very first non-weekend-only road trip. My dad's side of the family has a big get-together every 4th of July, and seeing as we haven't been to a single one in the almost 7 years Justin and I have been together, we thought this was the year to go. We left early in the week and made a little vacation out of it. 

Em was such a great traveler! I was honestly a little worried, but she read her books, slept, watched Bubble Guppies, and played the whole way. 


Apparently I was beginning to annoy her. :)


We had to stop (as you do in Texas) at Bucc-es and play around.


Our first full day there we hit up the little town of Gruene (pronounced "green), which is one of our favorite places. It's a tiny little town with lots of character right on the Guadalupe river. 


We hit up the local shops, and Em tried to share her goldfish with my grandpa. Watching her interact with him was one of my favorite things. 


When one is in Gruene, you must (MUST) hit up the Gristmill for a meal. The scenery alone is enough to make you love it, but they make a really good burger. 


On our way out, we stopped into Gruene Hall (the oldest dance hall in Texas), and let Em dance around on the stage. I felt better about taking my kid into a bar when I saw other parents were doing the same thing. I kept thinking of that line from Sweet Home Alabama..."You have a baby...in a bar!" Just to clarify though, it was the middle of the day, and nobody was really there. It's really cool to think about all of the people who have stood on that same stage...Willie Nelson, George Strait, Cory Morrow, Charlie Robison. Add to that the fact that Justin and I both had been there at different parts in our lives and my grandpa's stories of him and my grandma going dancing there when they were "youngin's" and it was a pretty sweet moment. 



We drove over to my cousin's house on the Guadalupe to show Em the water. There's just something about a river...





From there we hit up Cabela's, where Emerson made herself right at home. :)



We capped off a very busy day by having dinner at The Salt Lick in Driftwood. OH.MY.WORD. That is probably in my top 5 of restaurants I have loved. The atmosphere is incredible. Laid back, live music,  a gorgeous vineyard, and the food. THE FOOD. I am not a BBQ eater (yes, I realize that is sacrilegious in Texas, but TexMex is where it's at), but this place was phenomenal. So so so good!  We will definitely be back there soon. 


So...that was day one. :) The other days were just as full, but I didn't get as many pictures. See you for Part 2 tomorrow! (If anyone even still reads this!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment