Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Craftastic-Turkey Shirt

I'm sure you've all seen the adorable turkey shirts on Etsy and Pinterest. I've been looking around on Etsy to find one I really loved for Emerson to wear to Thanksgiving, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay upwards of $25 for a shirt she would wear once or twice. Then, I procrastinated ordering or making one because we were dealing with her having pneumonia, Justin and I both having the "crud," and a busy life in general. I had grand plans of having it monogrammed and cute, but such is life. That left me to make one yesterday while Em napped and Justin did our grocery run. Now I am so glad I did it myself! Here's a quick run down if you want to whip one up before Thursday.

What you need: 


  • shirt or onesie Mine is a white Gerber onesie from a Walmart 3 pack
  • scrap fabric in brown and various colors for the feathers You need less than 6 inches of each fabric. I used bits of a jelly roll I had on hand. You can buy cheap squares at Walmart or Joann's for like 97 cents, and you won't even use the whole square. 
  • Heat and Bond Ultrahold Costs about $2 at your local Walmart
  • Fabric scissors
  • A turkey pattern I got mine from Those Crafty Sisters. You would need to google and find a bigger pattern for a larger child or adult. Their pattern did not include anything for the eyes or waddle, so I kinda winged it. For the eyes, I used a tiny piece of fabric that was white with black dots. I cut around two dots for the eyes. For the waddle, I cut a squiggle out of one of my feather fabrics. 
  • Optional: Sewing machine or a fray stopper (see below)

Start by cutting out your pattern pieces. Lay each piece on the fabric and cut around it. I pinned mine with sewing pins for a little stability. I did my turkey body on plain brown, and each feather is a different piece of fabric you see above. I used two of those same fabrics for the beak and the waddle.



After you cut out your pieces, trace them on to your Heat and Bond paper and cut. 


Follow the directions on the back of the package for applying the Heat and Bond to your fabric. All it takes is a few seconds of ironing. (The uglier your ironing board cover, the better. ) 


Play around with your pieces and get the layout right before you iron the adhesive side down. Be sure everything is just like you want it to be, and then iron for a few more seconds. 


If your process goes like mine, this is when you will hear your child wake up from her nap and totally blow out her diaper. You'll have to stop and take care of that, but never fear, you're almost done! (Have I mentioned how close to crawling we are!?! Eeek!!!) 


Iron it all down! At this point, you could easily use a sewing machine to stitch the edges down or even a fray stopper (cheap at Walmart or a fabric store) to keep your edges neat. However, since Emerson will really only wear this shirt once (and later as a play shirt) I didn't take the time to do either. I only need it to look good for Thanksgiving day, so it wasn't worth fighting with my bobbin. 


It took about 30 minutes start to finish, and that's with the blow out. It cost me nothing because I had everything on hand, but if you were to go and buy the supplies I would guesstimate that it would cost less than $10. I am really happy with how it turned out, and my wallet is really happy I didn't spend $25 on one from Etsy! 

Happy Turkey Making!

No comments:

Post a Comment