Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fantastic 5: Drug Story Beauty Edition

I will admit it. I can be a make-up snob. Trust me, it's not because I love paying the prices. I really think it comes from years, YEARS, of bad make-up experiences in jr. high and high school. I love my mom, but she did not impart to me the wisdom of the cosmetic counter. I've had some rough times. (Yellow Mary Kay primer, anyone???) So I feel a little unapologetic about buying my Mac powder. It's making up for those years of really bad foundation.

 I'm pretty loyal to a product when I find something that works. It takes some convincing for me to try something new. Some of my favorite things happen to be name-brand, but some of them are not.

I thought I'd share with you my 5 favorite drug store beauty products.

Let's start at the beginning. Olay moisturizer. My grandmother has the most beautiful skin I've ever seen. Not a single wrinkle until she was in her 70s, and the woman had 4 kids. Her secret? A daily dose of this stuff. Of course, she called it "Oil of Olay." How can you not trust your wrinkle-less grandma? I've been using this stuff for years, and I doubt I will ever switch. It's perfect! Light, neutral smell, and doesn't break out my somewhat oily skin. Perfection.



This is my go-to eye shadow. It's Revlon Colorstay Eyeshadow in Moonlit. The white is a little too white for me, so I don't use it much. The other colors offer a nice shimmer without being glittery, and have pretty great staying power. 


Allow me to introduce you to my new bff. Y'all!!! I'm in love. I struggle with mascara. None that I have ever tried have been "the one." I know people just love the pink and green Maybelline one, but it flakes off so badly. I can't stand it. I read about this one, NYC's High Definition, on April's blog. I was unsure, but then she posted a picture of her lashes on Instagram after having used this stuff. I was jealous. I've been wearing it for 2 days, and right now I'd swear to you that I'll never use a different mascara again. I love it that much. Please, please, if you struggle with finding "the one" give this a try. It will change your life. 


Again with the Olay, but I swear by this stuff. It gives your skin that clean, fresh feeling without drying it out completely. It also smells really, really good. I've not had trouble with breakouts or anything using this stuff. Now, if only my local Walmart could keep it in stock...


This one is in the experimental phase right now. I usually use Mac foundation, which I adore. As I previously mentioned, I've had some foundation nightmares in the past. I'm hesitant to try new foundations, but this one is all over Pinterest and Real Simple (the highest authorities on all things beauty) as being very comparable to my Mac. It's about $15 less too, so I thought I would give it a try. So far, I'm a fair-weather fan. It seems more watery than my Mac, and I don't love the smell it has. However, with the right primer and powder it has great coverage. I'll let you know how it turns out. 

What about you?? What are your favorite drug store beauty products? My wallet would be interested in finding out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment