Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

So, I Quit My Job

Well, I should actually say I quit where I do my job. Shocked? Yeah, me too.

It seems when you spend 3 weeks doing a Bible study on "living a surrendered life" God will totally call you out on it an hour after finishing said study. Oh, yes he did.

Several years ago, I had a wonderfully amazing vice principal. She was seriously one of my education idols. She was so poised, professional, knowledgeable, and best of all...she LOVED teaching as much as I do. She left after a couple of years to be a curriculum director at a nearby district, and I told her then if a job ever came up I would love to work with her again.

At the end of every school year since then, I've heard from her with offers like, "I have a 7th grade reading job open." Ahhh...no thanks. Seventh graders are way outside my comfort zone. Nothing seemed to ever be the right fit, so I stayed put.

About a week before Emerson was born, she called to say she would have a 4th grade job opening up. That's a little closer to what I want, but I loathe teaching 4th grade. I've tried it. Loathe it. No idea why, but it is not for me. Love third. Loved even fifth. Hated fourth. In all the hubbub of having a baby I forgot all about it. I never submitted an application. I never even told her no.

Fast forward to this past Wednesday, literally ONE HOUR after I put the cap on the Living a Surrendered Life Bible study with #SheReadsTruth. The phone rings, and our little automated lady on our phone (whom I love) announces that someone is calling me from that other district. I knew immediately what was happening.  I picked up the phone and sure enough she had the perfect job on hand...a third grade, self-contained classroom. I would be teaching the grade level I love, and best of all I could go back to teaching all subjects-not just Language Arts. It was mine if I wanted it.

What's to lose, right? Just say, "YES!"

Well, it's not that easy. My school alone lost 19 teachers, a principal, and about 4 other support staff. They are hurting this year, and I wanted to be a part of the healing. The other district pays less than my old one. It is in the opposite direction of Emerson's baby-sitter. It means packing up and moving my classroom...again. It means starting over brand new. Oh, and I had to make a decision in less than 24 hours because the deadline to drop my contract with no penalties was the next day.

But...

One hour earlier I had written in my little Bible study journal these words...

"The whole idea of fully surrendering-of being a follower of God and not just a fan-has been all around me lately. I feel the call, God. I know I need to give up the pretense of control. I need to give up my worry about the future."

Seriously?

Could He have called me out on my words any sooner?

Would I really take this job that means less money, more inconvenience with getting Em to a sitter, that couldn't possibly be "officially" mine before I had to resign from my old one?

Yeah, I would. And I did. And He totally provided and will continue to provide.

I talked to Justin for a few minutes, my neighbor who works in this new district, and most of all God. I knew I had to do it. I emailed my old AP and told her I was in. She wrote back how excited she was about it, and to get my application in ASAP. I went the next morning to submit it, and they had a letter of intent to hire waiting on me. That meant I could  resign from my old district with a little confidence that I would definitely have a job with the new one. I had sent my resignation letter to work with Justin that day, so when I gave him the word he could go drop it off for me. I came home after putting in my application and the phone was ringing. It was the superintendent of the new district giving me his word that the job was indeed mine, and they couldn't wait to work with me. I texted Justin to turn that resignation in immediately. I knew what I was doing was right.

So, here we are now. I have to go pack up my classroom and get ready to start in a whole new place in exactly one month. I'm a little  a lot nervous about making new friends, but I am SO excited to start a whole new adventure. I am sad to leave old friends, especially in such a hard place, but I am praying that God sends them wonderful teachers to help with rebuilding. It will be tough to figure out the Emerson-thing and less money is never fun, but God. Will. Provide.

Moral of the story: Don't do a Bible study on surrendering your life unless you really mean it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an amazing, exciting example of surrender!! I am SO excited for you and for this next school year!! So glad to hear the whole story. Woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete