Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Craftastic-PomPom Bib Necklace

Our good friends that live in California had their baby Saturday night. Now I have a bad case of baby-envy. I really want Emerson to at least wait through this week, but seeing Baby Owen's sweet little face makes me even more excited to get her here. Pretty much everything we need to do is done (minus our CPR class tonight). Therefore, I'm using my waiting period to do a little crafting. 

I started looking at my Pinterest boards to get some inspiration (since I never seem to make the stuff I pin), and came across this tutorial here. I think the necklace she made is completely adorable, and I had everything on hand, so why not? I will say though that I modified her tutorial just a bit to suit me. Her instructions are great, but this is just what worked best for me. 
My finished product. :) 
You'll need: 
  • scrap fabric--at least 1/4 of a yard. I would highly recommend buying "fat quarters." These are scraps used for quilts and they are super cheap. Our local Walmart just started carrying them and they're 97 cents each. I used fabrics I had on hand. I really want a few plain ones, but for some reason all I had on hand were patterned fabrics. Either way it works, and it does not matter at all what kind of fabric you use. Jersey would be great because it doesn't fray, but I used a plain old cotton because I like a little fray.
  • felt--again super cheap I used about 1 and 1/4 of a sheet for two necklaces.
  • fabric scissors (makes all the difference in cutting your fabrics)
  • chain (and safety pins if you do it my way)
  • Liquid Stitch or hot glue gun


Steps: 

Start by deciding what size pompoms you want. If you look at the comments on the tutorial I linked above, you'll see all different types of variations. Some people did larger poms and only used 3, some used smaller ones and did up to 7. I did 5, and I'd suggest to keeping with an odd number for balance. I traced the bottom of our salt shaker. :) 

Trace 5 circles (or whatever number you decided on) of whatever size onto your felt. 

Then, on the fabric of your choice, either trace a ton of circles or use your felt ones as a guide to cut them out. I ironed my fabric to make it crease-free and then folded it several times. I traced my pattern on the fabric and then cut it out. This allows you to cut multiple circles at once. That is easier to me than using the felt circle as a guide, but to each his own. Your circles do not need to be perfect! Trust me, I ended up making some wonky (love that word) just to fit. I wish I could tell you how many fabric circles you need, but I can't. You need a bunch...a whole bunch. I used a full fat quarter per necklace. 

Now, fold your circles in half and then half again until you get a cone like below. Glue it to your felt circle, and keep adding until you have a pompom! One thing I learned: don't be afraid of cutting off the pointy end of your cone to smush the fabric in for more fullness. I even cut some circles in half to get volume and a tight fit. Do whatever you need to do.

You'll notice the tube of stuff in the background. That's Liquid Stitch. You can buy it at any store that carries craft stuff. I'll confess, as much as I love crafting I despise hot glue guns. I hate the spider-webby stuff and the fact that I burn my fingers like crazy. Liquid Stitch dries super-fast and clear. This tube has lasted me over a year, and I use it a lot. It's only a few bucks too! 

A finished pompom! Just do that 5 times, one for each of your felt circles. 

Now, here's the big way I differ from the other tutorial, and I'll explain why. Glue your poms down on your leftover felt. (Mine is black because I ran out of the white felt. It doesn't matter, you won't see it. You're just attaching the poms together.) The other tutorial says only glue down 3 and then add a chain. I glued down all 5, AND I highly suggest using a hot glue gun for this part. I used Liquid Stitch on the first necklace I made, and hot glue on the second to attach it to the second piece of felt. The hot glue was definitely stronger and held them in the form I wanted better than the Liquid Stitch. Still, using L.S. on the poms saved my fingers tons of pain though.

Cut your fabric out so that your poms are linked together, but no felt shows on the front.

 So, here's why I glued all 5 down. The original tutorial suggests buying a chain from a craft store and gluing it to your end poms. I have several problems with that. 1.) I knew I would want various colors and styles, and buying a chain for each one would be more expensive than I want it to be. 2.) They're cheap chains that will no doubt turn your neck a lovely shade of green before long. 

Enter, the safety pins. I just took my favorite chain and slipped a baby-size safety pin through each end and pinned it to the back of my two end poms.

I like this because now I can easily switch out a set of poms without buying another chain, and you can adjust the length depending on where you pin your ends. Plus, you won't have a lovely green neck to go with your cute necklace. :)

This yellow and white polka dot one was my first attempt. 

Each necklace took me maybe an hour to make from start to finish. Best of all, it cost me nothing! I used everything I had on hand, but even if you had to go buy your fabric, felt, and Liquid Stitch you'd probably spend around $5...FIVE bucks for a super cute necklace that nobody else would have. Worth it. 

If you make one, please let me know! I'd love to see the variations people come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment