Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Projects

It has been busy around here! When I went to the doctor for my 28 week appointment, we found out that I'm measuring a good 3 weeks ahead of schedule. We apparently have an early bird on our hands. I'm sure she gets that from me. My doctor wasn't too concerned since I passed my 1 hour glucose test, so she'll check me again this next week and do an ultrasound if needed. It doesn't look like we have too much longer before Miss Emerson makes her appearance! :)

Knowing that I most likely won't have those weeks of maternity leave before she arrives to get things ready we got ourselves in gear and started completing some projects. This past week was my spring break from school, so I was able to organize what we had and get a few decorations up. I thought I'd give you a sneak peek of her room and a few projects that have been completed.

First up, our PRECIOUS tree. This is the very first baby thing I picked out, and I could not love it more! I know it came from Etsy, and I want to say the shop was called Modern Walls. (I could easily be wrong about that.) You'll see it more in detail when I do a whole post about her room.

My crafty-aunt came into town for a few days this past week. She helped me sew (or mostly sewed for me) a ton of things for Emmie. She really wanted to teach me how to use a pattern for clothes and we ended up with this...
Adorable or what?!?! It is not finished, she left that for me to do. (YIKES!) It wasn't nearly as hard as I expected it to be, but it was definitely time consuming. I feel more confident in sewing ruffles though. That's always good for a baby girl.

This project was more up my alley...
I found this precious mobile on Etsy, but it was $55!!! I could not justify paying that for a mobile! My sweet hubs, however, could. He tried to buy it for me, but the lady was completely sold out of them. I took it as a sign that I could do it myself. A borrowed hoop from my mother-in-law, a few spools of ribbon, four sheets of scrapbook paper, and some fishing line turned into a super sweet, and unique mobile. I think the whole thing cost me about $5 once I bought the ribbon. I also chose to do circles instead of the birds in the inspiration picture. It is perfect in her room!

Back to my sewing lessons with my aunt...I saw this cute diaper straps on Pinterest, but never took the time to make them. I finally did, and we ended up with 2 cute straps for a handful of diapers and a package of wipes that can be thrown into a purse and taken on a quick trip. She gussied this one up with a matching bow. Such a simple and cute gift to keep in mind for my future preggo-friends.

Ugh. This last project made me curse Pinterest a time or two. I really wanted to do glass etching on some jars for my baby shower hostesses and fill them with something sweet. I looked up the tutorial for etching, and after taking my neighbor's advice I was certain I could do this easily. WRONG. First, I struggled with getting my vinyl stencils placed correctly, and then I obviously did not use enough etching paste to make much of a difference. It was a total mess...However, not as much of a flop as the chocolate covered Oreos I planned to fill the jars with. They turned out really cute until I decided to decorate the tops with sparkly pink gel icing that is really satan in a squeeze tube. That stuff got EVERYWHERE and completely ruined the cookies. So, I improvised with kettle corn, vanilla almond bark, and sprinkles. Minus the hideousness of my glass etching, they turned out pretty cute.

We also managed to make a boppy cover, blanket, 2 swaddles, a bib, and a bed skirt for her crib. It was a really productive week. We had our baby shower today, and now her room is covered with all sorts of cute goodies. Once I go through the 117 pictures of today and get her room reorganized I'll do a post on those things. We were truly blessed.

Tomorrow I head back to school for only 6 more weeks! I can't believe time is flying by this fast. I can't wait to meet our little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment